We are #RooReady for fall semester classes. Learn more about the UMKC response to the global COVID-19 pandemic and get the latest updates and safety information from the CDC.

Exit Examination

Version :2.0
You are not logged in.  [Login]

Exit Examination

UMKC Exit Exam Policy
The University of Missouri Board of Curators, the Missouri Department of Higher Education, Missouri statute, and the Higher Learning Commission require UMKC to assess the effectiveness of the university’s general education program. With the exceptions noted below, all undergraduate degree‐seeking students must take a test of general education achievement after earning 90 credit hours and before the end of your degree program.

UMKC has selected the ETS HEIghten Outcomes Assessment Exam as its general education exit exam.

Taking the HEIghten Exam
The HEIghten Exit Exam is administered remotely and you do not need to register or make an appointment to take the exam. Send an email to from your UMKC email account to request the instructions and access code for completing the HEIghten Exit Exam. The exam will take about 45 minutes to complete but you should allow additional time for testing your computer system prior to starting the exam.

Unless you meet one of the exceptions noted below, you must complete the exit exam after you have earned 90 credit hours and before the end of your degree program. If you fail to take the required exam before the end of the semester in which you plan to graduate, you will need to reapply for graduation.
There are three exceptions: 1) students who have previously earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university; 2) students who have taken and passed the MoGEA assessment (passing will be defined as eligible for admission to the UMKC School of Education Teacher Education program for the year you took the assessment); and 3) students in the RN to BSN program and the dental hygiene completion program who first entered the program prior to Fall 2019.

If you meet one of these exceptions, contact your academic advisor and to ensure the exemption is noted in your student record.